Last night I had a lovely Skype chat with my BFF who (sadly) lives on the other side of the state. We were discussing her upcoming trip to Bonnaroo and since she has never attended a festival before, I was helping her pack. After our chat, I realized that a good rule of thumb for any festival is to plan as though you are going on a music filled journey through the Desert: It will be hot and water will be scarce. Unless it rains, there will be no showers. If it rains, there will be mud. You will be sweaty and dirty. WEAR SUNSCREEN.
After you get the survival essentials prepared, you must pack the clothing essentials.
- Bathing suits - you will be sweating A LOT. Better to be walking around in a bathing suit that dries quickly than soggy bra and undies. Also, if the heat becomes too horrid, you can strip down your bathing suit at anytime. (For some Etsy options, see my “splish splash” post)
- A decent sized bag - Chances are that your sleeping arrangements are not anywhere near the stages. You will need something that can carry your water, SUNSCREEN, phone, $, camera, food, booze...see where I’m going with this?
- Light layers - Did I mention it will be hot? You want to pack like you are going to the beach. Don’t bring your maxi dress unless it is paper thin. I would recommend shorts, mini skirts, rompers, lightweight materials, and maybe a button down to throw on if it gets cold.
- A Scarf or two - these babies can be a light cover up if needed but best of all, they are a great way to hide your greasy hair. You can tie them up like Rosie the riveter and stay cool. (see the example photo for another cute way to wear your scarf)
- Rain boots - I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that you will probably be wearing sandals to this event. However, if it rains, those dry fields will quickly become a mud pit. Do you really want to ruin the cute sandals you bought JUST to take on this trip? Didn’t think so. Find a sweet pair of rain boots just in case...
Here are some Etsy options for your festival wear. Have fun!